We witness a miracle each time a child enters a life. But those who must make their journey home across time and miles, growing in the hearts of those waiting to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny. And placed among us by God's own hands.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

HUGE Update

The last couple months have been a true test of faith and persistence. First off, as soon as I learned that my job had been non-renewed I started looking at openings. Given there were not many openings in CO at the time, I wandered onto some AZ listings. Despite growing up in North Dakota, I really hate cold winters and cloudy days. So I stumbled upon a opening for a position in AZ and applied. I dropped them a line that I would be in town during spring break and to my surprise they called me for a interview while I was there. The school district turned out to be in a beautiful little community only 20 minutes from where my parents spend their winters in AZ. Several weeks after returning I was offered the job. I still was not sure if it was meant to be. I do really like Colorado, and I can't imagine driving to work and not seeing the Rocky Mountains every morning. So I prayed and waited for some direction. And that we got! We listed our house on the market on a Tuesday, had a showing the next evening and agreed upon a contract to sell by Friday! Yes, that is right our house sold in three days. Amazing, isn't it? That surely was a sign. Since then most of my anxieties about moving to AZ have evaporated. There are tons of rental options and I think I have found a great pad for our family until we get settled and are ready to buy. I have even found someone on Craigslist who makes huge air conditioned dog houses! Yep, worrying about my dogs roasting while we are away was actually a huge stressor.

But wait, there is more REALLY BIG news........ Remember how we received a letter direct from USCIS saying that Vanessa's humanitarian parole visa had been denied? Well I opened my mail up last Monday and there before me was a letter saying that she had been granted a full one year humanitarian parole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh, I was shocked! I still have no idea why they changed their mind. The last I knew, I had talked with a case representative with Senator Udall's office in CO. I can only assume that their involvement worked or maybe even someone else out there. Whoever or whatever the reason I am so thankful that the plans for her surgery are back on track. So by now you may be wondering, well how are you going to take care of a little girl who is getting surgery in CO when you are moving to AZ? Within about 30 seconds of reading the letter I was stressing out about that little dilemma. We have sense been able to extend out the closing date on our house and are praying that Vanessa will be able to obtain her travel document in Haiti so that she can arrive to CO very soon. Since, unfortunately I have to start my job mid-July, it has been decided that my husband will stay in CO to be with Vanessa while she recovers from surgery and receives her post-op care. This was the point at which another miracle occurred. Through my reaching out to a organization called Kids Mobility Network, a communication was able to happen with the Ronald McDonald House and we have been reassured that after we move, and once a room is available, that he and Vanessa can stay there as long as required! Of course we will have other friends and family coming to help them out and I will travel back and forth as much as possible.

And so there it is, I am a bit overwhelmed as I write it out. I had been planning to care for Vanessa during her recovery, so of course I am disappointed, but what matters most is that she gets her surgery. I really believe though that everything is happening as it should. If we had received news earlier of her visa, I would have never accepted the job in AZ and we would not have signed the contract to sell our house. There really comes a time in life when you just have to go with the flow and trust that there is in fact a higher plan. Faith, hope and persistence does prevail!

Yes, there are people out there who I am sure think that we are completely insane to be taking all of this on at once. My response would be "To what extent would you go to receive a life altering surgery for your biological child?" From the first moment that we met Vanessa we knew that we had to do something. I have gone to the ends of the earth to save my children and she is no exception.

1 comment:

  1. So happy to hear the news! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.