We witness a miracle each time a child enters a life. But those who must make their journey home across time and miles, growing in the hearts of those waiting to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny. And placed among us by God's own hands.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Cold Days!

I have heard of snow days but cold days are a whole new thing to me. That is until yesterday afternoon when the school district I work for announced that there would be no school today due to dangerously cold weather. Turns out that most other Denver metro area as well as northern and southern CO school districts cancelled school. It was 1 degree outside today, then we got the call this afternoon that tomorrow would be an additional "Cold Day". This is a little weird to me because I grew up in Bismarck, ND where I lived for my entire childhood and then attended college in Fargo, ND at North Dakota State University. These are places where the snow may never melt all winter long and you can easily hit multiple digits below zero with the windshield. I remember the very energetic weather man who would get so excited when he got to announce that yet again the temperature was below the donut! I don't remember ever once school being cancelled in ND or MN due to severely cold weather. I do remember spending days with cancelled classes at NDSU when the snow storm of 1997 hit (followed by the floods of 1997). Anyways, I am not going to complain because I am more then happy to spend time hanging out at home with my kids and catching up on my to do list. Really I do get it, because here in CO we really are not used to extreme cold weather. People don't have automatic car starters and block heaters. Many of the kids at the school where I work don't even own what we would think of as winter coats yet hats and gloves. No one wants little kids standing alone at the bus stop at 7am in -10 below, who don't have proper clothing, with buses that arrive late or not at all because they won't start. And so we are all staying nice and warm with our second "cold day" tomorrow. And the timing is just fine with me because tomorrow is our little Leo's 4th birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment