We witness a miracle each time a child enters a life. But those who must make their journey home across time and miles, growing in the hearts of those waiting to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny. And placed among us by God's own hands.

Friday, April 9, 2010

Support for Breastfeeding Moms

While there may not be some things that you like in the new Health Care Bill I try to look for the positive and there are many. I am relieved to know that my nephew who has hemophilia will not be denied medical coverage when he caps out on his current coverage. Under the new bill insurance companies have to eliminate lifetime caps on coverage. They also will eliminate pre-existing conditions, meaning that both my husband and I who have had minor medical diagnosis cannot be denied medical coverage if we ever have to obtain private insurance. I was told that a private insurance company can deny me for having a prior C-section and multiple miscarriages. And did you know that a private insurance company will not cover a woman if she is already pregnant? Thus if she makes to much for Medicaid and her employer does not offer health insurance or she is unemployed then well she and her baby are just out of luck. That to will change under the Healthcare Bill. Yes, there are folks who say I don't want to have to pay for the uninsured but you are already paying. For example, where we live our hospital is the most expensive in the region. Not because it is the most state of the art, but because we have the highest number of uninsured people who show up at the emergency room so that they cannot be denied care. That means that I pay with higher charges at the hospital and higher insurance premiums. There is also clear research in the field of medical and social psychology that wether you like it or not we are all connected. When they look at health among countries and societies, inculding the US, the rich are no more healthy then the poor. SO if we do not support the least of us, we are not supporting ourselves either. This is why Canada and a surprising number of small countries have higher average life expectencies (48 countries rank higher then the US) and infant mortality rates (44 countries rank better then the US in infant survival) then we do. Look for yourself at https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2102rank.html'
and https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2091rank.html

O.k., I bet you did not think I was going to take on this controversial issue when you read the title of my message! Honestly, I agree that the plan is not perfect but we need to do something and now is the time. So back to the title. I was not only pleased that the Adoption Tax Credit was included in the Healthcare Bill but so was support for breast feeding moms. The Bill specifically states that employers larger then 50 must provide a safe place for mom's to breastpump that is not a bathroom. Yeah! I remember how awkward it was when I went back to work and tried to pump for my son. I gave up after only a few weeks. If I ever have another biological child or adopt a young enough infant I would definately try breastfeeding again. For a good article on the topic check out CNN health at http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/04/09/breast.feeding.society/index.html?hpt=C2

No comments:

Post a Comment