We witness a miracle each time a child enters a life. But those who must make their journey home across time and miles, growing in the hearts of those waiting to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny. And placed among us by God's own hands.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Little Leo Turns 3

Our little Leo turned 3 today. February 2nd was his estimated birth date from the orphanage and on his Rwanda medical records. We kept the celebration simple, a GI friendly dinner of chicken and rice, cake, and presents at home with just the five of us. He is not yet interested in a lot of toys but I found a small and durable remote control car for toddlers that he just pushed one button on the remote and it makes it work (New toys at Target in the "special toys" section). He was fascinated that the car moved and chased it around the living room then dad taught him how to drive it which was even more amusing because he screamed every time it moved.

The day was a little bittersweet however. I wish I knew his birth story, I wish I knew what he looked like when he was born and how much he weighed. I wish I could have seen all his firsts. I wish I had a baby picture of him. These things we will never have answers to but I will do my best to tell him his story when he is ready. My daughter likes to tease my eldest son about being a fat baby and then she asks me what she looked like when she was born. I tell her what I do not know but what was probably true, that she was so tiny and so beautiful. I then explain that while she did not grow in my tummy like her big brother did, she grew in a even more special way, she grew in my heart. And that is where Leo entered my life. The emotions that I went through and are still going through with him are very much like pregnancy and childbirth. And so today I can only imagine what we do not know.

No comments:

Post a Comment