We witness a miracle each time a child enters a life. But those who must make their journey home across time and miles, growing in the hearts of those waiting to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny. And placed among us by God's own hands.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Worse then the DVM?

So today was the big day for our appointment with USCIS. Well actually my husband got the joy of submitting the priceless packet to the main Denver USCIS office. He had the day off so I scheduled a InfoPass appointment online and he drove to Denver to turn in the application in person. Again to recap, this is a important piece of the puzzle because the I-600A application ( https://infopass.uscis.gov/info_en.php), which cost us $670 plus $80 each for fingerprinting, will grant us advance approval to adopt a orphan and bring the child/ren to the US and for him/her/them to eventually become US citizens. He described the experience as worse then a trip to the DMV. There was a room full of confused looking people waiting around because they did not have InfoPass appointments (thus I highly reccomend making your appointment if you are doing this at: https://infopass.uscis.gov/info_en.php) and only two people working the "windows". By the time he got to the person that he needed to talk to this individal was not very friendly. Perhaps due to the amount of time that the previous customer had taken. But all that said the good thing is all our paperwork was in order and I was able to meet up with him at a second location after work to get our fingerprints taken. If all goes well we will be receiving the coveted I-171H form (our approval) in 6 to 8 weeks. Then many months in the future when we travel to our newly adopted child/ren we will either submitt the I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as a Immediate Relative (http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-600.pdf) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia or Kigali, Rwanda. The annoying thing is we still have to refinalize our adoption in CO and not untill that is done will our future child/children be considered US citizens. Then to get proof of citizenship you need to pay more money to USCIS to get a Certificate of Citizenship or obtain the child's US passport.

No comments:

Post a Comment